Friday, May 27, 2005

Recovery

The next day, as you can imagine, was somewhat of a LONG SLOW day. We woke up early, which was painful, and had a long slow breakfast, waiting for our plane to leave.

Out flight off the cay was at 1:00 PM, and the flight back home was at 2:30. We found out that this was a tight connection.

We arrived at the little airport hut, and gave the Maya Air attendant our names. He looks them up and says “We had you down for yesterday”. Words that will turn your bowels to wax. We found out that yes, we had reserved out homebound ticket off the cay on the wrong day. AND all the seats were full. The guy behind the counter said to wait, and they would see what they could do. We worried, and I worried especially that we had made the wrong reservations back home as well. Luckily, I had my Treo 600, which is a PalmPilot and phone and all that jazz, so I was able to check our original flights. The homebound was OK. Now, if only we could get to the mainland.

The Maya Air guy said that we had booked our homebound flight too close to this one, and we may not make it anyway. Bummer for us. But he said that he was calling for another plane to come and pick us up. Now THAT is service. It turns out that we were not the only overbooked passengers, and they end up with FIVE planes with the same flight number. (go figure)

As we were walking to the plane, the pilot looked at me and said I wouldn’t fit. I am not really sure if he was worried about my 2 meters (6’6”) or my 100 kg (220 lbs). But in any case, they made us get on separate planes. I gave Doreen her passport, saying that if my plane went down, I didn’t want her to be stuck in country. One of the other passengers said, “How Sweet! Kiss her!” and I am and I did.

The two planes landed moments from one another, and we walked to the Continental counter. By now it is about 1:40, and it turns out the flight leaves at 2:15! The women tells us we will have to hurry, and that we may not make the flight!

I can see the 727 only about 100 yards away, so I know that it is not the distance we must travel, but the bureaucracy we must navigate. Luckily for us, everyone was in a good mood that day, so we made it through, put our meager bags through the x-ray machine, walked through the terminal, walked outside, up the stairs and onto the plane. They closed the door, and we came home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home